I am an Australian-based sole trader operating as Well Writ and Billycan Press. I offer editing, writing, publishing and training services to clients around the world.
This policy explains how I protect and make use of the information you give to me. Any information you provide to me will only be used in ways described in this policy.
This policy was last updated on 17 May 2018.
Reasons why I collect data from you
I collect and use information provided by you in order to:
- provide you with information about my business, for example, to provide you with a Schedule of Work or quote
- allow me to contact you before, during or after performing Services
- enable me to contact you about services that you provide or provided
- enable functions on my websites, for example, the contact forms
- enable functions in third-party applications that I use to perform my business, for example, cloud-based accounting software and payment methods.
Information that I collect from you
I collect and use the following information:
- your name and title
- business name
- business addresses (postal and street addresses)
- email address
- business website and social media handles
- business telephone number
- Australian Business Number (ABN) or Australian Company Number (ACN)
- information relevant to performing Services, such as word count and type of project, and related files.
How I use this data
I use the data that I collect from you:
- for my internal accounting processes so that I can provide you with a Schedule of Work, and invoice you, and so that I am compliant with relevant taxation laws in my accounting practices
- to contact you in relation to future, ongoing or past work; to respond to your queries; and to keep you up to date with new services, availability and other relevant information about my business
- to enable functions on my website, such as the contact form
- to record your agreement of the terms and conditions of my Services
- to record your consent in allowing me to collect your personal data.
My website collects a minimum amount of data when accessed:
- IP address
- state and country where you are located
- browser and operating system
- source of visit, which can be by directly typing in my website URL, using a search engine or accessing my website via one of my editor directory listings.
- Google Analytics
- Squarespace Analytics.
Cookies do not give me access to your computer and only provide me with information that you elect to share with me via your web browser’s cookie settings.
How I collect your personal data
I collect and store minimal information using the following:
- the contact forms on my websites
- the purchase information provided by PayPal when you purchase a book from my website or elect to pay me for my editorial services using PayPal
- telephone or Skype.
I do not lease, distribute or sell your information to third parties unless I am required to do so by law. You may ask me what personal information I have about you or ask me to amend or remove your data at any time.
How I store your personal data
The minimal information that I collect is stored on the following:
- Contacts, Mail and Outlook These are my internal email and contacts systems for my password-protected PC and Mac computers.
- Xero This is the password-protected cloud-based accounting service I use to prepare Schedules of Works, quotes and invoicing for my Services. The Xero privacy notice can be accessed via their website.
- Internode This is the Australian-based password-protected internet service provider (ISP) that I use for my internet and email services. The Internode privacy statement can be accessed via their website.
- My computers, external hard drives and mobile devices All project-related files and data are stored on my password-protected work computers. I regularly back up these computers to password-protected external hard drives, which are stored in secure locations. I have taken steps to protect the security of information stored on my mobile devices, such as my mobile phone. I have a security procedure in place to irretrievably delete data from all old computers and devices before disposing of them.
I may, with your explicit written permission, also use one of the following password-protected cloud-based file management systems to enable transfer of your files.
- Other password-protected cloud-based file management systems requested by you as my Client.
How long I store your personal data for
The minimal information that I collect is stored indefinitely unless I am specifically requested by you to delete the data.
- The Australian Tax Office (ATO) requires me to keep records for ‘5 years after they are prepared, obtained or the transactions completed, whichever occurs last’ but I may need to keep records for longer that relate to later tax returns or amendments.
- The US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires me to keep records for ‘3 years from the date you filed your original return or 2 years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later’.
- You may ask me what personal information I have about you or ask me to amend or remove your data at any time and I will do so as soon as practicable as long as I am complying with the ATO and IRS legal requirements.
Who I share your data with
I do not lease, distribute or sell your information to third parties unless I am required to do so by law.
If you have any questions, or requests to delete or amend your data, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Joely Taylor, Well Writ, PO Box 379, Camberwell, Vic., 3124 Australia.